Diabetes UK, founded in 1934, is the leading diabetes organisation of the Great Britain, and one of the largest patient organizations of Europe. It is similar to the American Diabetes Association and the Diabetes Australia-NSW.
Diabetes UK is a not-for-profit charitable organization dedicated to the welfare of people with diabetes, their family and friends. Its mission is to improve the life of the persons with diabetes and to work for a future without diabetes. It raises its resources by soliciting donations and funds studies and researches into diabetes, its treatment, and cure. It also extends practical support to people with diabetes and their family for better management of diabetes.
- Some highlights
- Its website is visited by more than 4,000 people every day.
- It has more than 170,000 members.
- It spends around 6.5 million pound sterling each year on its activities.
- Its helpline answers more than 200 calls each day.
- It publishes a number of magazines and books.
- It organizes a number of events and services dedicated to the people with diabetes and their family and friends.